Beth's House of Bondage (I mean binding...)
I spent the last week hauling home my stash from the Warren Featherbone Asset Auction. Warren Featherbone was a long-time childrenswear manufacturer in Gainesville. They made Alexis Playsafe Clothing, plus Pool Pals swimsuits, plus lots of things for other stores like Nordstroms, Dillards and Baby Boutiques. A few months ago, they sold out to a company in New Jersey and closed this plant. Last week was their asset auction. Being both a sewing machine collector, and almost unemployed person, I went. I wanted to get an industrial machine and maybe some fabric or trim if I could afford it.
I showed up at 9:50AM for the 10:00AM auction. I made David come with me because I had never done this before and was really worried. We looked over the hundreds of machines and the various other lots (about 1000 of them) and decided on some things I would possibly bid on.
Fast forward to 4:00PM. I really LIKE this auction stuff. I am the proud owner of 20 or so lots, including 7 industrial machines (some way-cool antique Singers too,) nearly all the binding in the plant, 45 different types of buttons, a million or so snaps, cases of thread, numerous computer components, including huge factory printers and office printers, and tons of lace and trim. Oh, did I mention the shelves? 40 shelving units. All for an amazing price!! I made 25% of what I spent back before I left the warehouse, simply by selling off some of the metal shelving units.
Now I have to call David and tell him we need to get this stuff home. In case you didn't know, industrial machines are HEAVY!! But, I spent about 6 hours a day hauling stuff home on Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Mon and Tue. It was so much fun though and I met some really cool people who just GAVE their stuff away to me. I ended up with way more than I actually bought. The only thing is now it is taking over my house. Here are some pictures.
Next is the inventory, then I'm creating a website to sell off most of it. I'm getting to be quite the little entrepreneur.
Oh, and I've promised my family that they can have our house back soon. At least until the next time there's an auction.
I showed up at 9:50AM for the 10:00AM auction. I made David come with me because I had never done this before and was really worried. We looked over the hundreds of machines and the various other lots (about 1000 of them) and decided on some things I would possibly bid on.
Fast forward to 4:00PM. I really LIKE this auction stuff. I am the proud owner of 20 or so lots, including 7 industrial machines (some way-cool antique Singers too,) nearly all the binding in the plant, 45 different types of buttons, a million or so snaps, cases of thread, numerous computer components, including huge factory printers and office printers, and tons of lace and trim. Oh, did I mention the shelves? 40 shelving units. All for an amazing price!! I made 25% of what I spent back before I left the warehouse, simply by selling off some of the metal shelving units.
Now I have to call David and tell him we need to get this stuff home. In case you didn't know, industrial machines are HEAVY!! But, I spent about 6 hours a day hauling stuff home on Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Mon and Tue. It was so much fun though and I met some really cool people who just GAVE their stuff away to me. I ended up with way more than I actually bought. The only thing is now it is taking over my house. Here are some pictures.
Next is the inventory, then I'm creating a website to sell off most of it. I'm getting to be quite the little entrepreneur.
Oh, and I've promised my family that they can have our house back soon. At least until the next time there's an auction.


1 Comments:
All I can say is "WOW"!! That's a lot of stuff! Good luck sorting, storing, and selling it.
Pat/Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home